Monday, January 11, 2010

Make me a Meal Monday - Tex Mex Turkey Burgers

Justin and I LOVE LOVE LOVE a good turkey burger, okay well maybe he doesn't LOVE LOVE LOVE them but you get the point. We would rather eat turkey than red meat, its healthier for you and as long as you spice it up enough you really don't miss the "real" burger.

I try and change our turkey burgers up occasionally, so we do not just have the same ol' turkey burgers when we grill out. I thought this week I would try a Tex Mex Turkey Burger.

Here are your ingredients that you will need:

1 lb Ground Turkey (in my opinion 93/7 works best)
1 small can of chopped japelenos
1 small can of chopped chilies
2 dashes of onion powder
2 dashes of cumin
1 heavy dash of chili powder
1 dash of paprika
1 dash of garlic salt
1 dash cayenne pepper
2-3 tablespoon of worchestershire sauce (not pictured)
4 slices of Boars Head Monteray Jack Japeleno Cheese
1 can of black beans
2 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon EVOO
Arnold Select Sandwich Thins - 100 calorie buns, whole wheat


Drain the cans of both japalenos and chilies

Mix all of the following ingredients together
1 lb Ground Turkey (in my opinion 93/7 works best)
1 small can of chopped japelenos (most of the can - probably 3/4)
1 small can of chopped chilies (most of the can - probably 3/4)
2 dashes of onion powder
2 dashes of cumin
1 heavy dash of chili powder
1 dash of paprika
1 dash of garlic salt
1 dash cayenne pepper
2-3 tablespoon of worchestershire sauce (not pictured)

I was almost finished mixing in everything when I realized that although the chilies and jalapenos will bring some moisture to the burger (turkey burgers tend to be a little more dry) I should probably add some Worcestershire sauce.


I decided to make 3 rather large hamburgers, but you can definately make it into 4 normal burgers.
And then you send out a VERY loving boyfriend into the bitter cold temputures to grill. Sorry J - but we would most likely eat hockey pucks if I was in charge of the grill! (talk about dry turkey burgers - ha!) (i should probably tell you it was in the single digits when we were making these)

Once the burgers start on the grill the rest of the meal cooks pretty quickly. Take your sandwich thins
and place them under the broiler

Once your buns are getting toasty and have a little grill to them start your black beans. Rince your black beans

Add a 1/2 to a 3/4 of a tablespoon of EVOO, 1 clove of garlic and 2 dashes of cumin and cook until warm all the way through

In a separate pot I mixed the remaining jalapenos and chilies with a bag of frozen corn (i know so exciting right!) well I was going to just serve the black beans as a side dish but then justin suggested that we should put the beans on top of the burger... and I thought it was a great idea so I to go for something health and a back up so my own tex mex corn it was!

And our final plated product...

3 comments:

Annie said...

Those burgers looks so yummy. I have to try it because I'm looking to different recipes so my girls eat more.

Have a nice week.

Jenn Vojta said...

That looks so delicious! I am goign to try and recreate the recipe myself this weekend!

Beth McC. said...

YUM!!!!!!!