Monday, May 2, 2011

Cake Pop Tutorial and Beckett's birthday

The past few days I have learned the ins and outs on how to make cake pops.
I thought I would share a few tricks of the trade of what I have found to work.

I made 2 types of pops for Beckett's first birthday party
Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting and Oreo Truffle Pops
Cake Mix
[all the ingredients needed for the cake]
Frosting
Candy Coating
Lollipop sticks
Crisco
[what they don't tell you about red velvet cake, is that it stains your hands red - be careful :)]


Oreo Truffles
Oreos
1 block of cream cheese
Candy Coating
Lollipop sticks
Crisco


Cake Pops
1. Bake the cake per the box directions
2. Cut the cake up into crumbles [after the cake is completely cool]
3. Add icing, I have used only 1/2 of the tub, remember you can always add more
4. it should be a dense texture, but not too mushy
Oreo Pops
1. Put the entire package of oreos in the food processor
2. Pulse into small crumbs
3. Add block of cream cheese
4. Mix in the block of cream cheese
[these are absolutely delish!!]

Place both of the mixtures into the freezers for 10 minutes

Roll the cool mixture into balls
Melt a little bit of the candy coating
Dip the end of the Lollipop sticks in the candy coating
Stick the Lollipop sticks into the balls
Once all of the sticks have been placed into the balls, place the cake pops back into the freezer for 10 minutes to solidify the candy coating
Melt the rest of the candy coating
you can use paraffin wax, however, I have never been able to find it and crisco works the same - i just use a very little amount and spread it over the candy coating, this helps the candy coating not "sweat" when the pops are not being refrigerated
I take the melted candy coating and place it into my liquid measuring cup so that it is just a one deep dunk with the cake pops.
Dunk the cake ball into the candy coating
Allow all of the excess candy coating drip off of the cake pop
And then turn the cake pop right side up to dry
[please excuse my attempt at making a cake ball holder, i.e. my left over scrap from my craft room - that i drilled a bunch of holes in]
i topped the different cake pops to differentiate them, the oreo truffles, i kept a few of the crumbs to sprinkle on top, and the red velvet cake i topped with a spiral
the finished products in the bucket for Beckett's birthday
Lauren did not disappoint with her party planning either!



And here is the birthday boy!
I have never seen a little one go after his smash cake quite like Beckett - he went in with 2 hands!
and this picture makes me laugh every time I see it!
its as if he is "sugar drunk!"

Happy Birthday Beckett! I hope you had a wonderful birthday! I can't believe its been a year since I wrote about you being born!

post signature

7 comments:

michelle ellis said...

What a cute birthday party!

I want to try to make those, thank you so much for sharing!!

Mateya said...

Yum yum yum! I want to try the oreo ones! I need an event to take them too though otherwise I will eat them all myself!

Jenn @ West Sac Honey said...

Did I tell you I love you! I have been dying to make cake pops and had no idea how to!

Angie Acapella said...

I've seen these in fancy cake shops and wondered how they were made...the oreo one sounds divine. My daughters 3rd bday party is next weekend and I think those would be perfect! thanks for the tutorial!

Kenj said...

Those cake pops are way easier than I thought they would be! They look so cute in that bucket!!

Alphabet Soup Momma said...

Love the cake pops! And little Beckett is a cutie!

Molly said...

Thanks for posting this girl! Going to make some this weekend :) YAY!