Sunday, February 28, 2010

Make me a Meal Monday - Mexican Lasagna

I LOVE mexican food - and I have tried my hands at a few mexican lasagnas in the past year - and although they are good they have a ton of ingredients and to me not as good as they cost, so I thought I would try one more recipe in the meantime before I completely gave up on Mexican Lasagna... this one is from the Food Network from Rachael Ray and boy was it EASY and DELICIOUS!
The recipe calls for the following

  • 3 tablespoons for EVOO
  • 2 lbs of ground chicken (I used turkey because I had it already)
  • 2 tablespoons of chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
  • 1/2 red onion
  • 1 can of black beans
  • 1 cup of taco sauce
  • 1 cup of frozen corn kernels
  • 8 spinach tortillas (I used 4 whole wheat tortillas)
  • 2 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 scallions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Add 1 tablespoon of EVOO to a pan and add turkey. Season turkey with chili powder and red onion. Let brown for 5 minutes (and drain any excess grease from pan)
Add taco sauce, black beans and corn, heat through for about 2-3 minutes, add salt to taste (whoops - I kinda miss the salt part when I made this dish - I would highly recommend adding salt at this point)
Coat baking dish to rest of EVOO. Begin layering meat, tortillas and then cheese. I chose to cut the tortillas into squares and then use the scraps to fill in the left over spaces in the pan - that way you don't have parts of your lasagna without any tortillas (noodles - ha!)
I was able to do 2 layers total
Bake your the lasagna for 12-15 or until the cheese is bubbly and then serve.

Top your dish with scallions

I hope you enjoy this meal as much as I did!!

**I made this the night before and then just popped it in the oven when I got home - which made for a 12-15 minute meal - perfect for a work night!**

No comments: